Child Support Attorney in Utah
Child support ensures that both parents contribute to the financial support of their children after a divorce or separation. Both parents have a legal obligation to provide financial assistance for their children. In most cases, the non-custodial parent makes child support payments to cover costs that the custodial parent incurs as part of raising the child.
Child support can be a complex and often divisive issue in divorce proceedings, which is why it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side.
At our law firm, we understand the complexities of child support and the impact it can have on your financial future. Our attorneys have years of experience helping clients navigate the child support proceedings and ensuring an equitable outcome.
Calculating Child Support
Several factors are commonly considered when determining the amount of child support that should be paid in Utah. These factors may include:
- Income of Both Parents: The income of both parents is a key factor in calculating child support. This includes wages, salaries, tips, and other forms of income.
- Number of Children: The number of children that are covered by the child support order will affect the amount of child support that must be paid. If a party is paying child support from a previous marriage, this is also considered.
- Custody Arrangement: The custody arrangement will also be considered when calculating child support. If one parent has sole physical custody of the child, they will likely be the recipient of child support payments.
An experienced attorney can be invaluable in navigating the child support process. Here are some ways an attorney can help:
- Understanding Your Rights: An attorney can help you understand your rights and obligations when it comes to child support.
- Calculating Child Support: An attorney can help you calculate the amount of child support that should be paid based on your income and other factors.
- Enforcing Child Support Orders: If the other parent is not paying the required child support, an attorney can help you take legal action to enforce the child support order.
- Modifying Child Support Orders: If your financial circumstances change, an attorney can help you seek a modification of the child support order.
- Advocating for Your Interests: An attorney will advocate for your interests throughout the child support process, ensuring that your rights are protected and that your child receives the financial support they deserve.
Consequences of Failing to Pay Child Support
Failing to pay child support can have serious consequences, including:
- Wage Garnishment: If you are not paying child support, your wages may be garnished to ensure that the child support payments are made.
- Driver’s License Suspension: Your driver’s license may be suspended if you fail to pay child support.
- Seizure of Property: Your property, including bank accounts and personal property, may be seized to pay child support.
- Jail Time: In extreme cases, failure to pay child support can result in jail time.
It is important to take child support obligations seriously and to work with an experienced divorce attorney to ensure that you are meeting your obligations and protecting your rights.
Contact us today if you have questions or concerns about child support arrangements or non-compliance issues. Our experienced attorneys are here to help you navigate the complexities of child support and ensure that your rights are protected.
Salt Lake City Lawyers to Help with Your Divorce
Trust the expertise of The Divorce Attorney Firm to represent you through your divorce.
Effective Solutions for Every Utah Child Custody Case.
Custody battles can regularly be the most tenuous detail in a divorce or paternity case. The Utah Divorce Attorney firm has an arsenal of tools to keep what’s best for the child in mind while protecting a parents’ rights.
Providing Compassionate Utah Child Support Solutions.
There are several strict factors to determine child support. An attorney can help guide you through calculating child support by making sure you’re taking all Utah guidelines into account.
Salt Lake City Attorneys For Spousal Support.
Do you qualify for spousal support? Do you think you’ll owe alimony? Our attorney can walk you through the qualifying factors to help you determine whether or not alimony will affect you.
Need Legal Advice?
Call us now for an initial case review. We can determine what help you need!