Child custody is a legal term that describes who has responsibility for a child under the age of 18 following a divorce or separation. Child custody can be one of the most emotional and complex issues in a divorce, which is why it is essential to have an experienced child custody lawyer on your side.
At our law firm, we understand the complexities of child custody cases and the impact it can have on your family. Our attorneys have years of experience helping clients navigate the child custody process to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your child.
Determining Child Custody
Child custody is determined by the court based on what is in the best interests of the child. The court will consider a variety of factors when making this determination, including:
- The child’s age, gender, and health
- The relationship between the child and each parent
- Each parent’s ability to provide for the child’s basic needs, including food, shelter, and medical care
- The distance between the residences of the parents
- Each parent’s ability to provide emotional support and a stable home environment
- The child’s relationship with siblings and other family members
- They physical and mental well-being of each parent.
- The child’s wishes, if the child is old enough to express them. Though the Court may hear the request, it does not mean they will implement the request.
How an Attorney Can Help
An experienced attorney can be invaluable in navigating the child custody process. Here are some ways an attorney can help:
- Understanding Your Rights: An attorney can help you understand your rights and obligations when it comes to child custody. They will explain how child custody is determined and what factors are considered in determining the best interests of the child.
- Negotiating Child Custody: An attorney can work with you and your spouse to negotiate a child custody arrangement that is in the best interests of your child. They will protect your rights and that the child custody arrangement is fair and reasonable.
- Modifying Child Custody: If your circumstances change after the divorce, an attorney can help you seek a modification of the child custody arrangement.
- Enforcing Child Custody: If your ex-spouse is not complying with the child custody arrangement, an attorney can help you take legal action to enforce the arrangement.
- Advocating for Your Interests: An attorney will advocate for your interests throughout the child custody process, ensuring that your rights and your child’s best interests are always the top priority.
Different Types of Child Custody
The child custody arrangements that are best for your family will depend on the unique circumstances and needs of you, your children, and your spouse. There are two types of child custody to consider in every divorce.
- Physical Custody: This type of custody dictates where the child will reside and with which parent they will live. In a joint physical custody arrangement, the child lives with and spends significant time with both parents. If the court awards sole physical custody to one parent, that parent is the custodial parent. The child lives with them, but will often spend time visiting the other parent.
- Legal Custody: A parent with legal custody has the legal authority to make important decisions regarding the child’s life, such as where they attend church, what doctors they see, and where they attend school. The court may award legal custody to both parents jointly or solely to one parent.
Our attorneys have the knowledge and expertise presenting child custody cases in court. They know how essential these decisions are to you and your child. Their goal is to protect your rights as a parent and ensure that your child receives the best possible outcome.
If you are going through a divorce and have questions or concerns about child custody issues, contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced child custody attorneys. We are here to help you navigate the complexities of child custody.
Salt Lake City Lawyers to Help with Your Divorce
Trust the expertise of The Divorce Attorney Firm to represent you through your divorce.
Effective Solutions for Every Utah Child Custody Case.
Custody battles can regularly be the most tenuous detail in a divorce or paternity case. The Utah Divorce Attorney firm has an arsenal of tools to keep what’s best for the child in mind while protecting a parents’ rights.
Providing Compassionate Utah Child Support Solutions.
There are several strict factors to determine child support. An attorney can help guide you through calculating child support by making sure you’re taking all Utah guidelines into account.
Salt Lake City Attorneys For Spousal Support.
Do you qualify for spousal support? Do you think you’ll owe alimony? Our attorney can walk you through the qualifying factors to help you determine whether or not alimony will affect you.
Need Legal Advice?
Call us now for an initial case review. We can determine what help you need!